Special equipment for making these Mini Gingerbread Cakes
What you need to make Mini Gingerbread Cakes
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients for these mini bundts. Most of it is just ground spices. Here’s what you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour. Yes, you can substitute gluten free flour in this recipe. I’ve done it, and they come out great.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar. Light or dark, it does not matter in this recipe.
- Fresh grated ginger. If you need a substitute, use ground ginger. And since dried spices are always more pungent, you’ll want to use 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger for every tablespoon of fresh ginger.
- Vegetable Oil
- Sour cream
- The usual suspects: cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
When pouring the batter of these Mini Gingerbread Cakes with Lemon Glaze into your mini bundt pan, be careful not to overfill. If you do, you’ll end up with a domed bottom.
Not to worry – use a serrated knife and just slice off the bottom so that each mini bundt sits level on a plate. You can cube up all of those muffin tops and serve them with a dollop of Cool Whip. See? Two desserts in one!
How to make the Lemon Glaze
And when you make them, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more gingerbread recipes, try these:
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- Gingerbread Monkey Bread using Grands Biscuits
- Carmel Gingerbread Trifle with Bourbon Cream
For more holiday dessert recipes, try these:
Mini Gingerbread Cakes with Lemon Glaze
Easy recipe for individual bundt cakes, perfect for Christmas dessert
The Gingerbread Cakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. of baking soda dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
The Lemon-Ginger Frosting
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, both sugars, spices and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, sour cream, molasses, ginger and vanilla together. Then whisk the water-baking soda mixture into the egg mixture.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined. Spray mini bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fill with batter about 2/3 of the way. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool before turning out onto a plate.
- Whisk all of the frosting ingredients together in a small bowl. Pipe or spread over the gingerbread cakes and sprinkle with more confectioner's sugar just before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Nancy Burger says
These little cakes are outstanding! They don’t have the strong molasses taste. Don’t forget the lemon frosting! It’s ‘the topping on the cake’! I didn’t have a mini Bundt cake pan so I made them in a muffin pan and it worked great. Thanks for this tasty recipe.
Hi Nancy! So glad you enjoyed this recipe, and thank you for your feedback!