Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What’s in Hearty Chicken & Vegetable Stew?
Do I have to make stew in a slow cooker?
Options for the veggies and chicken
Hearty Chicken & Vegetable Stew
Lean chicken, potatoes and vegetables in an easy stovetop recipe that will warm your body and soul!
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 lb. russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme minced
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Heat butter and oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add chicken and brown, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Remove the chicken onto a separate plate.
- Add onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme and salt to the pot and cook until the onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly to scrape all the browned bits off the pot.
- Add the potatoes and frozen vegetables. Lower the heat and cover. Simmer for 12 minutes, until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the chicken and cream plus 1/2 cup of water. Cover again and allow to simmer another 10-15 minutes until potatoes and chicken are cooked through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!