What are Gougères?
Pretty & Party Perfect
The Best Gougères Recipe
Savory, light and airy with aged Gruyere cheese & fresh herbs – delicious with cheese and wine!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups aged Gruyere cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme chopped
- Bring water, butter and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the flour.
- Return to medium heat and stir until the batter pulls away from the sides of the saucepan, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer the batter to a stand mixer. Mix on low speed for 1 minute, then increase speed to medium and add six eggs one by one. Reserve the last egg for brushing.
- Add the grated cheese and herbs and combine well. Pour the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip or round tip, or ziploc bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe the batter into small rounds onto a ungreased baking sheet and freeze.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Remove Gougères from freezer and brush with beaten egg. Bake 10 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet and bake another 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!