Baking with Cinnamon Chips
How to make Cinnamon Star Cookies
We’re using my favorite baking method! Anybody want to shout it out? That’s right, the two-bowl method. Wet ingredients in the first bowl: butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Dry ingredients in the second bowl: flour, cinnamon, salt and leavening. Put them all together and what have you got? Cookies.
The dough will be slightly sticky, so be sure to chill it for about an hour. Colder dough is much easier to work with, especially when you’re cutting it into shapes. With a simple dusting of raw sugar, they are ready to go.
Cinnamon Star Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cinnamon chips chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- turbinado sugar for dusting
- In a stand mixer or with a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, chopped cinnamon chips, cinnamon and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough onto a well-floured surface and cut into shapes. Place onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 14 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet.