On the list of favorite holidays, Valentine’s Day has always been at the top. Silly? Maybe. But I’ve always loved the idea of a holiday that celebrates love and sweetness. Even on the years when I haven’t had a Valentine, I always managed to find one. Kids make great Valentines – they always deliver cute little homemade cards and gifts. And never underestimate the power of a Galentine. Those years were some of the best! Every year, though, is a good time for chocolate treats. And these Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles are right at home on the holiday of love.
What’s in these Truffles?
With only a few ingredients, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles are one of the easier things to make. And bonus, you don’t even have to turn on the oven. Here’s what you’ll need:
- vanilla frosting
- peanut butter
- graham crackers
The kind of chocolate that you use is important. I have tried using chocolate chips and even melted chocolate frosting. You end up with yummy truffles, but sticky, mess ones. Nobody wants a sticky, messy truffle. You want a nice matte finish on your truffles. And the way to get it is to use baking chocolate.
Baking chocolate can easily be found at the supermarket, and it comes in bars. It melts nicely over very low heat, and if it ever gets too thick you can thin it with a tiny bit of coconut oil.
How to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
Making these truffles is easy, and a great activity to do with your Valentine, no matter their age. First, combine the butter, peanut butter and vanilla frosting together. Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor to make crumbs, and throw them into the bowl with the rest of ingredients. Then just form little balls with your hands.
After an hour or so in the fridge, the peanut butter balls will be ready to dip in melted chocolate. They will set pretty quickly, so you’ll need to hustle if you want to top them with sprinkles or other decorations. Having two people makes it easier – one for dipping the balls, the other for decorating them.
Mini Me and I have been making these Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles together since she was little. This year, as she was carefully sprinkling each little truffle with the exact right amount of decoration, she said, “Mom… I really love these.” I couldn’t agree more.
If you make these irresistible treats, I’d love to hear about it! Leave a comment or drop a rating below. Happy Valentine’s Day!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffles
- 1 can vanilla frosting
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz graham crackers
- 12 oz semisweet baking chocolate
- 1/4-1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Combine the vanilla frosting, peanut butter and butter in a large bowl.
- Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor until the become fine crumbs. Stir into the peanut butter mixture.
- Using your hands, form small balls out of the peanut butter mixture. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour.
- In a saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate. Add coconut oil as needed to thin it out. Using a fork, carefully dip the peanut butter balls into the chocolate. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off and then place back onto the baking sheet.
- If decorating, apply the decoration quickly before the chocolate has a chance to set. Place the baking sheet back into the refrigerator to completely set the chocolate. Store in the refrigerator.