Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
What’s in this Chipotle Chicken Melt
- Italian, white or sourdough bread
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- American cheese
- cheddar cheese
- chipotle chili peppers in adobo
What’s the best bread for a Chipotle Chicken Melt with Avocado?
Tips for Success
A few pointers for maximum deliciousness with this Chipotle Chicken Melt with Avocado:
- Try using mayonnaise on the outsides of the bread to get a beautiful golden crust. You don’t really taste a difference between butter and mayonnaise, and mayo has a lower smoke point than butter. So you run less risk of burning your grilled sandwiches.
- To make things super easy, grab a rotisserie chicken breast from the supermarket so that you don’t even need to cook the chicken.
- If you’re finding the avocado slices too slippery, mash them in a bowl and spread them onto the bread after the smoky mayo.
For more sandwich recipes, try these:
- Crispy Italian Chicken Sandwich
- Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich with Halloumi “Fries”
- Classic All-American Burger Recipe
For more easy weeknight meals, try these:
- Pepperoni and Cheese Stromboli
- Honey Mustard Chicken w/ Warm Potato Arugula Salad
- Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs with Plum Sauce
Chipotle Chicken Melt with Avocado
Smoky mayonnaise, buttery avocado, lean chicken and two melty cheeses grilled until golden
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 loaf unsliced Italian or other white bread
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. lime juice
- butter or mayonnaise for grilling
- Dice the chipotle peppers. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice and peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Slice the bread into 8 thick slices (about 1/2 inch) and spread one side with softened butter or mayonnaise.
- Build the sandwich: Spread chipotle mayonnaise onto the unbuttered side of the bread. Layer the grated cheddar, chicken, avocado and 2 slices of American cheese and top with another slice of bread. Grill until golden and melted, 3-4 minutes each side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!