Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
If I had to choose my all-time favorite summer dessert, it wouldn’t be ice cream. It wouldn’t be water ice. It wouldn’t even be key lime pie. Nope, if I only got to choose one summer dessert to have for the rest of my life, that dessert would have to involve massive quantities of berries in some sort of flaky, buttery crust. Oh, and it would have to have a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. And then I could die happy. Seriously though, a berry pie or crumble or tart or cobbler is summer heaven, and doesn’t feel quite right any other time of year. These pretty little Berries & Cream Mini Tarts are a seasonally delicious way to serve up all of your favorite summer berries in individual servings.
What’s the cream in Berries & Cream?
An easy pie crust
Tips for Success
Berries & Cream Mini Tarts
- 1 10 oz. package refrigerated pie crust
- 3 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries if frozen, allow to defrost for at least 1 hour
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese room temperature
- 4 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. instant tapioca
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg white beaten
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the berries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and zest. In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese and mascarpone.
- Roll out the pie crust into a rectangular shape. Cut 4-inch to 5-inch squares out of the dough. You should be able to get 10 squares out of one package of pie crust. Divide the cheese mixture among the dough squares and spread, leaving a 1/2 inch perimeter of dough. Distribute the berry mixture over the cheese mixture. Carefully fold the edges of the dough in towards the berries and press to seal the edges.
- Place the tarts onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush the dough with egg white. Bake 15-18 minutes, until crusts are golden.
- Combine the honey and thyme and drizzle over the cooled tarts.
Leave a Reply