Isn’t it the best when baked foods taste just as good as their fried counterparts? Let’s add these to the list. You will not believe how crispy these Rolled Tacos with Chicken & Cheese get in the oven!
No frying required, and the taste and texture will fool even the most critical foodies. They’re crispy outside, cheesy and yummy inside, with all the good Tex Mex flavors. Let’s make them!
What is a taquito (i.e. rolled taco)?
A taquito is quite literally a “little taco” that’s been rolled and, traditionally, fried. Fillings can be seasoned beef or chicken and cheese. They’re also called rolled tacos or flautas (although flautas are typically made with flour tortillas instead of corn). Taquitos are usually served with dipping sauces like guacamole, salsa and sour cream.
How to make Rolled Tacos with Chicken & Cheese
First, marinate the chicken in a citrus-based sauce using orange juice and lime juice. Even just 30 minutes of marinating makes a difference, but let it sit as long as you can. Then, just pop the chicken into the oven and shred with forks once it’s cooked.
The rest is easy. Just fill your tortillas with the chicken and cheese, roll them up and starting counting down to snack time!
Tips for getting the crispiest taquitos
Although flour tortillas are great, if you really want a crispy taco shell, you’ve got to go with corn tortillas. But corn tortillas are likely to break if you try to roll them when they are just out of the fridge. I like to microwave them for 20-30 seconds first. Then, brush the tortillas generously with olive oil on both sides. The oil is necessary if you want those golden crispy taquito shells.
Fill and roll tortillas while they are warm in order to minimize any breakage and maximize the crispiness.
Although these Rolled Tacos with Chicken & Cheese are great on their own, I like to serve them with homemade salsa and guacamole for extra fun and flavor. And when you make them, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more Tex Mex recipes, try these:
- Honey Lime Chicken & Corn Tacos
- Healthy Mexican Layer Dip
- Easy Black Bean & Corn Salad with Homemade Tortilla Chips
For more baked-not-fried recipes, try these:
Rolled Tacos with Chicken & Cheese
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 14-16 corn tortillas
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, salt, pepper, oregano, cumin and garlic in a shallow baking dish. Marinate the chicken in this mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake the chicken for 40 minutes, until tender. Shred with forks.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450 degrees. Warm the tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. While still warm, brush both sides with oil. Place a thin line of chicken and cheese in the center of each tortilla. Roll and place, seam side down, onto a baking sheet.
- Bake taquitos 12-14 minutes, until golden. Flip and bake 8 more minutes. Serve warm.