Summertime in our house means Cold Asian Rice Noodle Salad. There is something so refreshing and clean about this dish. It’s loaded with crunchy veggies and white meat chicken, and the rice noodles are gluten-free so you don’t end up feeling heavy in the belly afterwards.
What’s in this noodle salad?
Here is what you’ll need:
- wide rice noodles
- red cabbage
- green cabbage
- bell pepper (any color that you like)
- rotisserie chicken breast
- cilantro (if desired, but highly recommended)
This list has the major players, but feel free to customize the veggies you use. When I have baby spinach on hand, I’ll toss it in there. Other times I’ll throw matchstick carrots in for even more color and sweetness.
The Creamy Sesame Soy Dressing
Choosing the right noodles
- Give the veggies and noodles some time to mellow together in the fridge. This will improve the flavor and not affect the crunch of the veggies. In fact, it’s nice when the cabbage is a little softened, as it makes the salad easier to eat.
- Only do the above if everyone likes all of the ingredients. If you have picky eaters, simply toss the noodles with the sauce and set up the veggies in individual bowls, so that everyone can customize their own bowl.
For more Asian-inspired dishes, try these:
- Asian Salmon Noodle Bowl
- Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs with Plum Sauce
- Thai Basil Shrimp with Coconut Rice
For more Gluten Free dishes, try these:
Cold Asian Rice Noodle Salad
- 1 lb. Asian rice noodles
- 1 orange/yellow/red bell pepper
- 1 head red cabbage
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Cook noodles according to package directions and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Shred both heads of cabbage into thin strips, either by hand or using the grater attachment of a food processor.
- Cut chicken into small cubes.
- Remove the seeds from the bell pepper and dice. Dice the scallions. Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Place cold noodles and vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all dressing ingredients together in a large bowl and whisk until incorporated. Alternately, pour all ingredients into a mason jar, seal tightly and shake vigorously until incorporated. Pour over salad and gently toss it all together. Store in the refrigerator.